Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

rola
Hi all,

I am really thrill to set up OsmocomBB program single handedly after scourging through mailing list and crash learning linux environment from online tutorials. This is an amazing project with a lot of concept and idea that can only be acquired through years of working as a developer. I really appreciate the great work each and everyone put into this project and I am taking advantage of this to set myself back as a programmer.

Could there be a comprehensive documentation on how to setup the the project from the first stage of firmware download to the linking of various applications to the running osmocon program. It took a lot of time to get myself around the project before I could finally set it up. Beside the core participant programmers and those that were previously familiar with this nature of application many of the interested enthusiast like me are left in the dark on what to do at one point or the other during the set up of the project.

For an instance after successfully setting up the osmocomBB, I couldn't run the program with my C155 just for the fact that I mistakenly took the passing parameter for  C155 for "C155xor" following the given example based on C123. It took me over two days to realized where the error was all because I was having legitimate error report of "NACK" that was explained on the blog to be due to different transmission rate between the hosting system and the MS onboard chip. By stroke of luck, I removed the "xor" based on solution suggested for similar issue on different Motorola model and VIOLA !!!  firmware completes downloading and I'm set on track . The funniest thing is that it was after I've resolved the problem that I later read the reference to the C155 parameter passing.

Secondly, setting up config file for MOBILE APP was like searching for needle in the hail. My thought was that the file needed to contain a written configuration of VTY with telnet parameters. That took me on a journey of learning what telnet is, what Virtual Terminal is. Anyway, I learn a lot from googling here and there before I finally read in some solution that the file is just an empty file. I know that it might be trivial issue to many of the grounded programmers but to some like me it was really a big issue.

Right now I am running the Mobile App and about to setup the patch  wireshark but still have no clue of what command to send through the telnet interface or what next to do on the Mobile prompt section. It will be a nice to have a compiled possible errors that newbies might encounter and as well a basic step on what to do at each stage of setting up  and running of the programs.

Just to give a little background about myself; I have a two semester of wireless technology as part of my graduate study and I intend to use OsmocomBB as the basis of my thesis on analyzing GSM Um interface.

Great work guys and God bless.

Rasak

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

rola
Like I mentioned earlier in my post that it took serious searching through the mailing list to know what to do. I have done all what I think I am expected to do but I'm yet to get cell information after using the SHOW CELL 1 command on the VTY.

Firstly, everything runs perfectly with respect to the Mobile App. I am running the Mobile App with no SIM for now. I understand that Sylvian path support SIM but I just want to see it run without SIM for now.

I will be so much grateful if anyone can just let me know what parameter to set on VTY. Already I have written to the .cfg file and as well use 'conf t' with 'ms 1' and 'no shutdown' parameters. For now, no traffic is displayed by Wireshark despite of no error message in running of the Mobile.

I have looked thoroughly and couldn't find any info about displaying CELL INFO with no SIM. I hope I get a response soon from anyone for me to finally say EUREKA!!!

Best regards,

Rasak

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

Holger Hans Peter Freyther
On 09/13/2011 05:00 AM, rola wrote:
> Hi all,

I can assist you with answering some docbook questions to help you to create a
usermanual and merge your doc into the osmocom-bb tree. Even if your question
has not been answered you might already have knowledge worth sharing.

cheers
        holger

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

rola
Hi Holger,

I will love to do that as my token contribution in a way but for now, I have to get the Mobile App running. I have everything pretty much set up to the level of being able to telnet to the Mobile. However, Wireshark is not receiving any frame and Cell Info display empty content. I'm using No SIM and running from the Master with Osmocon running on loader.compalram.bin. I set the Mobile App to loop back 127.0.0.1 and set the Wireshark port to what is on the wiki. Is there any other program I need to run beside Mobile before I can receive cell broadcast info even though the init process shows no error.

I really would have love to start looking into the code but that gonna be like looking for pond in the middle of desert. If I can get this work out with idea of how each and every programs involve interact, then I can start playing around with source code and perhaps may be implements some GSM features in the future.

By the way, how will the merging of existing code on OpenBTS integrate with the OSmocomBB such that USRP is bypassed. I believe this can work if appropriate framing is sent from the layer23 to layer1. I hope this will not require writing special firmware to implement the Signal Channel from the BST. By this, OsmocomBB could be the simplest GSM implementation ever with total cost nothing less than $100.00

There may be concern about hopping frequency bu I think that has been taken care of in one of the demonstration by using four different MS. But I would know how the transmitting and receiving signal will handle at the layer. Layer23 can then pass the received digitized voice using VoIP s it is in OpenBTS. From the look of thing, OpenBSc might have the necessary code by now but it will worth it can be independent of any specific device. That is just what I feel initially about this work but I realized that it is a big hell of a work for a newbie like me.

Please, if you can help out with my earlier request on retrieving the CELL INFO when SHOW CELL command is used while Mobile App is running with no SIM and Osmocon is strictly runs on Master, that will make my day.

Cheers.

Rasak

On 09/14/2011 04:31 AM, rola wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> I will love to do that as my token contribution in a way but for now, I have
> to get the Mobile App running.

Well, if you start with the documentation and bring it to a a point where you
have questions regarding the mobile app we can deal with it as part of the
documentation.

your choice

        holger

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

rola
Holger,

You don't have to task me before you let me in the CLUB. I wish I can do much more than you expect me but my hands are tight at the moment. I understand how difficult for many to spare their time to contribute to this project and I really feel the impact after gruesome time of resolving issues single handedly. We all don't have to pass through the hard path to get thing going because it is like reinventing the wheel. That is why I requested for more user friendly directive for newbies like me. In the first instance the existing wiki is old and misleading in some cases. You are well aware that nothing like layer23 app anymore yet it is still reference in the wiki. This sort of information creates a lot of confusion for in experience people like me.

Anyway, I hope in a short while I will be posting my CELL INFO display cause my MS is scanning at the moment.

Cheers.

Rasak

On 09/14/2011 04:55 PM, rola wrote:
> Holger,

> That is why I
> requested for more user friendly directive for newbies like me. In the first
> instance the existing wiki is old and misleading in some cases. You are well
> aware that nothing like layer23 app anymore yet it is still reference in the
> wiki. This sort of information creates a lot of confusion for in experience
> people like me.

Well then either feel free to ask for a password for the wiki (it is our
manual spam filter) and change the config or point to the pages with outdated
information.

And it is not a 'CLUB' either you feel like sharing your work or you don't.

holger

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

rola
Hi Holger,

You should know that for some it is not all that easy to trouble shoot somebody else code when one has little idea of how thing is structure. I have little or know idea of so many concepts used in developing this application and that make it tough for me to hack into the program. I only have basic understand of GSM network and a bit beginner's programming experience. However I've tried all what I could to run it the way I understand it. May be I was wrong in asking for more elaborate step by step procedure that will create unnecessary mistake that might be committed by people like me.

One thing you don't get to realized is that people like me normally base their parameter on the first given working command and overlook a subtle change in parameter when the same code is being used. For an instance I have been using my initial loader.compal.bin for osmocon not knowing that it is suppose to be layer1.*.bin. when running with Mobile. Believe me, I read the wiki but my eyes never caught the difference until I ran into issues and locate the difference in someone else posted debug. Time waisted in looking all around the mailing list would have been used to work on something else.

Anyway, I'm still stuck at one point on what I am doing; both osmocon and Mobile seems lock in an endless cycle of scanning the channel. Nothing can be display for the CELL INFO. I hope you can just help out at this stage.

If I can get an access to the wiki and point out the section needed to be modified with respect to the existing online documentation, it will be with all pleasure to make a token of my assistance. Therefore, I hereby request for the password to the wiki page.
Have a nice wonderful day.

Best regards

Rasak

> And it is not a 'CLUB' either you feel like sharing your work or you don't.

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

screaming-pain
Hi Rola,

probably you should post the output you are getting from mobile and explain what you are doing, then it will be clearer what you miss to get things work.

Cheers,
Loretta

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

rola
Hi All,

Currently I have the Osmocon running layer1.compalram.bin using Motorola C155.

Mobile runs as ./mobile -i 127.0.0.1. I followed the normal procedure as followed:

i. Start the osmocon program

ii. Start Mobile App

iii. Turn C155 on

iv. Start Wireshark (Direct Path Source : Git ) with the following parameters:

Osmocon and Mobile keeps cycling in a loop searching for possible PLMN and perhaps trying to find a suitable
cell to camp on. After power measure with an average level of -95dB, FCCH RecognitionL1CTL_RESET_REQ kicks in.
The layer1 process keeps in this loop continuously. Likewise the Mobile app with gsm322 message of channel
sync error. My guess is Layer1 couldn't found a suitable frequency to sync with. And I wonder why?

I'll like to know if anyone has successfully run Mobile without SIM using the Master copy.

Please, I'll appreciate any hint on what to do from anyone
Thanks.

Osmocon Output:

.
.
.
Starting FCCH RecognitionL1CTL_RESET_REQ: FULL!L1CTL_FSB_REQ (arfcn=102, flags=0x7)
Starting FCCH RecognitionL1CTL_RESET_REQ: FULL!L1CTL_PM_REQ start=0 end=124
PM MEAS: ARFCN=0, 42 dBm at baseband, -95 dBm at RF
.
.
.
.
.
L1CTL_PM_REQ starts=512 end=885

.
.
.
.

<0003> gsm322.c:2268 1 frequencies left in band 955..124
<0003> gsm322.c:2993 Channel sync error.
<0003> gsm322.c:2998 free sysinfo ARFCN=1001
<0003> gsm322.c:2734 Cell selection failed, sync timeout.
<0003> gsm322.c:521 ARFCN  |MCC    |MNC    |LAC    |cell ID|forb.LA|prio   |min-db |max-pwr|rx-lev
<0003> gsm322.c:521 -------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------
<0003> gsm322.c:521
<0003> gsm322.c:2124 Cell search finished without result.
<0003> gsm322.c:823 new state 'C6 any cell selection' -> 'C0 null'
<0002> gsm322.c:3804 (ms 1) Event 'EVENT_NO_CELL_FOUND' for automatic PLMN selection in state 'A6 no SIM inserted'
<0003> gsm322.c:4035 (ms 1) Event 'EVENT_NO_CELL_FOUND' for Cell selection in state 'C0 null'
<0003> gsm322.c:823 new state 'C0 null' -> 'C6 any cell selection'
<0003> gsm322.c:2790 Scanning power for all frequencies.
<0003> gsm322.c:2851 Scanning frequencies. (0..0)
<0005> gsm48_mm.c:4196 (ms 1) Received 'MM_EVENT_NO_CELL_FOUND' event in state MM IDLE, no cell available
<0005> gsm48_mm.c:4209 Message unhandled at this state.
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 0 rxlev -98 (12))
<0003> gsm322.c:2888 Getting PM for ARFCN 0 twice. Overwriting the first! Please fix prim_pm.c
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 0 rxlev -98 (12))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 1 rxlev -95 (15))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 2 rxlev -95 (15))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 3 rxlev -95 (15))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 4 rxlev -98 (12))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 5 rxlev -98 (12))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 6 rxlev -98 (12))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 7 rxlev -97 (13))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 8 rxlev -95 (15))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 9 rxlev -95 (15))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 10 rxlev -95 (15))
<0003> gsm322.c:2900 Found signal (ARFCN 11 rxlev -98 (12))

Mobile Telnet

rola@ubuntu:~$ telnet localhost 4247
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Welcome to the OsmocomBB control interface
OsmocomBB> en
OsmocomBB# conf t
OsmocomBB(config)# ms 1
OsmocomBB(ms)#no shutdown
OsmocomBB(ms)#en
OsmocomBB# sh ms
MS '1' is up, service is unavailable
  IMEI: 000000000000000
     IMEISV: 0000000000000000
     IMEI generation: fixed
  automatic network selection state: A6 no SIM inserted
  cell selection state: C6 any cell selection
  radio ressource layer state: idle
  mobility management layer state: MM idle, no cell available

OsmocomBB# write
Configuration saved to /home/rola/.osmocom/bb/mobile.cfg
OsmocomBB#

Rasak

Re: Comprehensive User Directive Manual Needed

karnatinagesh@gmail.com
Hi All,

i am also stuck at the same point as mentioned by Rasak.
i am also getting the same logs. if any one could tell how to fix it it would be helpfull.

regards,
nageswara reddy.