Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Benjamin Hagemann
Hello,

last days I read about sourcecode release of Tizen.
Here the project page: https://www.tizen.org/

(german news about: http://www.golem.de/1201/88938.html )

Could Tizen be a way to a free mobile phone?

--
Regards,

        Benny

gpg     0xFC505AB0
jabber  [hidden email]
sip     [hidden email]

signature.asc (197 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Alan Carvalho de Assis
Hi Benjamin,

No, it is not.

Tizen is just a Linux running in the Application Processor (AP), just
like Android.

OsmocomBB is a GSM stack which should run in the Baseband Processor (BP).

Best Regards,

Alan

On 1/11/12, Benjamin Hagemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> last days I read about sourcecode release of Tizen.
> Here the project page: https://www.tizen.org/
>
> (german news about: http://www.golem.de/1201/88938.html )
>
> Could Tizen be a way to a free mobile phone?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Benny
>
> gpg     0xFC505AB0
> jabber  [hidden email]
> sip     [hidden email]
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Harald Welte-3
In reply to this post by Benjamin Hagemann
Hi Benny,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:24:42PM +0100, Benjamin Hagemann wrote:
 
> last days I read about sourcecode release of Tizen.
> Here the project page: https://www.tizen.org/
>
> (german news about: http://www.golem.de/1201/88938.html )
>
> Could Tizen be a way to a free mobile phone?

All that _all_ such projects (Android, Maemo, Mobiln, Greenphone/QTE,
evne Openmoko) were about is the PDA side of the feature phone.

None of them ever touched the baseband processor in any way

--
- Harald Welte <[hidden email]>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
============================================================================
"Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Benjamin Hagemann
In reply to this post by Alan Carvalho de Assis
Hello Alan,

* Alan Carvalho de Assis <[hidden email]> [2012-01-11 22:00]:
>
> No, it is not.
>
> Tizen is just a Linux running in the Application Processor (AP), just
> like Android.
>
> OsmocomBB is a GSM stack which should run in the Baseband Processor (BP).

yes, right I know.
OsmocomBB is today ready to initiate/receive a phone call and
send/receive SMS. That the low level function in baseband.

So I think the question was to combinate this baseband function with
free software in the AP, which handle the "userland", GUI, contactlist
and so on. I though is there a OsmocomBB compatible "userland" /AP-OS
or should this software be developed completly new?

--
Regards,

        Benny

gpg     0xFC505AB0
jabber  [hidden email]
sip     [hidden email]

signature.asc (197 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Peter Stuge
Benjamin Hagemann wrote:
> I think the question was to combinate this baseband function with
> free software in the AP, which handle the "userland", GUI, contactlist
> and so on. I though is there a OsmocomBB compatible "userland" /AP-OS
> or should this software be developed completly new?

Since no other open source AP projects run on the Calypso and fit
the Motorola phones this is the exact discussion that has already
happened in this thread. Check out the archives.


//Peter

attachment0 (197 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Fabio Pasini
>Since no other open source AP projects run on the Calypso and fit
>the Motorola phones this is the exact discussion that has already
>happened in this thread. Check out the archives.
Please, would it be possible to include here a link for the other thread discussing that matter?
The main question posted by Harald Welte,
("whether we focus on  the Openmoko FreeRunner / Neo1973 phones, or the Motorola/Compal C1xx phones")
remais open, or that other thread Benjamin mentioned have some detail that resolves Harald's first post?
The previous message somehow halted the discussion...


So far, it seems that Motorola/Compal C1xx have more adepts:
- Peter Stuge - Dec 11, 2011; 12:11pm
- Andreas Eversberg - Dec 11, 2011; 3:18pm
- Scott Weisman - Dec 12, 2011; 8:17am
Did I missed someone?


>But maybe the best thing is to actually stat working on the power
>management aspects, as we will need them in both cases.
That would add even more momentum to the project.
And perhaps bring up other details to help choosing between Motorola/OpenMoko.    

Best regards,
Fábio
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Pierre Pronchery
                        Hi,

(sorry for not participating earlier)

On 27/01/2012 14:14, Fabio Pasini wrote:
> [...]
> So far, it seems that Motorola/Compal C1xx have more adepts:
> - Peter Stuge - Dec 11, 2011; 12:11pm
> - Andreas Eversberg - Dec 11, 2011; 3:18pm
> - Scott Weisman - Dec 12, 2011; 8:17am
> Did I missed someone?

my impression would be that the truly embedded solution is the most
sustainable approach, or certainly the one with fewer uncertainties with
regard to hardware quality and availability. I feel comforted in this
direction when I see the current progress, as blogged by Harald recently:
http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2012/01/28/#20120128-osmocombb_rssi

On the other hand, I am very interested by supporting the Openmoko
Freerunner, having already written a complete embedded telephony
environment for this platform (with interchangeable telephony backend).
See https://trac.hackable1.org/trac/wiki/DeforaOSSmartphone for more
details.

Considering this, I would say that what matters most would be an
easy-to-(re)use API to interact with the telephony subsystem, regardless
of its presence on a separate chip or not. Then both approaches would be
likely, and it should even be easier to hunt and catch bugs.

Easier said than done, but HTH nonetheless.

Cheers,
--
khorben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
>On the other hand, I am very interested by supporting the Openmoko
>Freerunner, having already written a complete embedded telephony
>environment for this platform (with interchangeable telephony backend).
>See https://trac.hackable1.org/trac/wiki/DeforaOSSmartphone for more
>details.
The big problem is getting nuttx-bb to run on it.
I've tried hard, but I didn't succeed at printing a thing on the serial
console or on sercomm console.

The sercomm console means the MODEM<->AP serial, using the sercomm API.
The serial console means the IRDA<->audio jack<->computer serial console.

with osmocombb things are printed on both consoles...

I'll try to give more details when I get back from FOSDEM(I've no serial cable
for the IRDA with me).

and nuttx.bin is less than 64k:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       36.2K Jan  7 22:18 nuttx.bin

Denis.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Alan Carvalho de Assis
Hi Denis,

On 2/2/12, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The big problem is getting nuttx-bb to run on it.
> I've tried hard, but I didn't succeed at printing a thing on the serial
> console or on sercomm console.
>

Did you get help from Stefan (aka l--putt) ?

I'll try to run NuttX on Motorola W220, then we can work together on
this uart issue.

Best Regards,

Alan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
>Did you get help from Stefan (aka l--putt) ?
I did not try to get help yet, apart from IRC but that failed.
(no one knew how to help me).

Denis.

123